Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Seeing from above

I have read this story some time ago and would like to share how we so often looked at situation or circumstances narrowly and not see it on wider perspective.


'A story is once told about an old man and his son who lived in an abandoned fort. One day the only horse the old man owned wandered away, and his neighbours came by to express their sorrow over his misfortune. "How do you know it is ill-fortune?" he asked.

A week later his horse returned leading a herd of wild horses. The old man's friends exulted in his good fortune.

Soon after that his son started to ride one of the horses and fell off and broke his leg. The neighbour's again express their sorrows. "How do you know it's bad?" the man asked.

The following week a war lord came through the village enlisting young men for battle. He would not take the old man's son because of his broken leg. The neighbours rejoice over the favourable turn of events. "How do you know it's favourable?" said the old man.'


Believe it or not, there seems to be a purpose behind every problem and every problem is a character-building opportunity. Circumstances are temporary but character last forever. This story helps me to take comfort that there is greater purpose in store for us........

"And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love Him, who have been called according to His purpose." ~ Romans 8:28

7 comments:

Janice Thomson said...

How true HMYU!...there is a reason for everything but man in his ignorance sees only one side and complains bitterly. He needs to understand completely that all things are in a state of change. What is here today may be gone tomorrow so why waste your time and energy complaining. Good post HMYU.

HMYU said...

Thanks Janice, i have always find myself falling into that error. It is a good lesson to me to try seeing from above and be on top tough circumstances.

Lone Grey Squirrel said...

Another good post.

Anonymous said...

This post reminds me that we never get to see the "bigger picture" in our life. This is why we must trust God for all things and in all things. Sometimes, the worries of the world can bog us down, but it is posts like this that makes one reflect on what we need to keep in mind. Thank you for sharing and I am looking forward to reading more of your thoughts. I come to you via LGS and I have you in my links already. I can tell by these couple of posts that your blog will be one of my "first reads" when I am out and about in blog land.

Blessings,

Ellie

HMYU said...

Thanks Ellie for your kind comment. Whenever, I have the time I will try to look around the blogsphere. So many nice and encouraging blogs to read. Cheers for now.

FranzFerdinand said...

Hey Charlie.... sorry I always think of you as charlie, or should it be charles !
Anyway great blog, very encouraging. Looking forward to more posts.

HMYU said...

Ahhh...this must be my long lost furry friend. Welcome!